Sunday, February 6, 2011

Day 6: In defense of language

Pajamas.

Now plenty of Malaysians, myself included, do this though I'm sure it gets pretty annoying to one unfamiliar to our customs. We switch between languages. A lot. Very quickly in fact. But hey, isn't it mutual in some sort of paradoxical way? Since, a lot of Americans know Spanish or some other language as well, and it only takes one to initiate it within a group to effectively isolate one who doesn't understand said language. Ironic, no? Lots of international students travel to the States just to acquire a better command of English, and next thing you know, locals have moved on to another fad. Brillante! I bet the Chinese wouldn't be too happy... "First English, now this?"

Now I'm neither for or against this; since, as I've mentioned previously, I do it myself. So who's to blame? No one, certainly. Because we do it rather unconsciously. Well, either that or we're just trying to impress a new friend that "I speak your language, amigo."

Yes, it is rude to knowingly do it in front of an individual who doesn't share an identical ideolect, but the fact is, many people do it unknowingly. Some consider it fun, and there's really nothing wrong with that. So we're really constantly being torn between two choices: either be considerate, or just let loose and cakap apa-apa you suka lah.

Perhaps, as an individual with an awareness towards one's own conscience, we can control the manner in which we speak in order to be considerate towards a diverse group of friends. Yet, at the same time, can we expect others to do/think the same? What happens if they do not?

Though this doesn't apply to everyone, my experience informs me that it's usually better to just accept things as they are. Should it not interfere with our professional lives or personal philosophies and everything in-between, just let that momentary linguistic faux pas slip by. Better acknowledge it than getting more wrinkles over it.

Why did I choose wrinkles as an example? I know not...

It does hurt when one doesn't feel "within" a group. I mean, I've had my share of awkwardness when the entire group started conversing with one another in Spanish, and I thought having a strong command of English was enough for an American audience. Clearly not. But, what can I do? I could pick up the language. Buy a dictionary and spend more sleepless nights studying it... massacring the pronunciation of every word... but would that be efficient/sufficient? More importantly, what would that achieve?

Frankly, I'm still searching for an answer. Maybe it makes us more "international" by picking up another language. Funny, 'cause I already know three, but I can only use one frequently, so how's that for pragmatism...

Cultural divide is still a huge issue. It's so blatantly obvious that no one notices it, oddly enough. Yet, who's compromising more than the other? The visitor, or the host? I'm frequently at odds here and it is an ongoing dilemma that I deal with everyday. Chinese people thinking I don't speak Chinese, Americans thinking I can't understand what they're saying, etc etc.

It's HILARIOUS I tell you. The more languages one knows, the funnier it gets. So I guess I'm really using my multilingual abilities discreetly to its fullest extent. Just sit back, and observe the multiple conversations happening all around you in a crowded area. The things people talk about these days... As if I've been living for a really long time.

Anyway, my point is, to not be offended when someone starts speaking in a foreign language to another, leaving you completely confused at what either is saying. (Okay, I'm beginning to get really annoyed at my roommate's attempts to juggle tennis balls filled with BBs...) Unless, of course, one somehow notices they're actually throwing insults towards one. Otherwise, let it pass or find some way to change the topic. Be patient. Wait for your moment, then drag said individual to your group of friends, and start tocking in your own dialect or slang or whateva lah so d other fella become so confuse he dunno wad to do.

2 comments: