Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 8: I just... couldn't.


Other than my glowing nose (not too obvious here), I just realized how high my forehead is. Hmm...

Anyway, the title's supposed to be comical rather than dramatic. Like, a "Haha" is supposed to follow after it.

...

I just destroyed the golden cliched rule of "Show, don't tell" for fiction writing. But anyhow, I have just arrived at the conclusion that I'm incapable of doing senseless things, having being immersed in an environment which demands things to make sense. It's a little windy but bear with me here.

For example, I can't start on a topic then divert the attention away doing something completely random and unrelated to the topic, making everyone laugh to tears, and consistently pull off epic punch lines that will be remembered in ages to come.

I dunno... Maybe it's the media influence that I've been receiving that allows me to only comprehend witty jokes and laugh out loud at scathing comments ridiculing society. Stephen Fry, Phil Jupitus, Bill Bailey, David Mitchell... The list of British comedians just goes on. Yes, I know them all from QI - my favorite show for now.

Random roomie moment - juggling tennis balls filled with BBs outside our room, in the hallway. Surprisingly more annoying than him doing it inside whenever one of it falls...

Ahem.

As I was saying, my sense of humor has developed in a different route from many Americans. I can pull off humor whenever I'm performing, regardless of audience's demographics, yet I am unable to practice it on a regular basis. I'm unsure if I should feel frustrated or... what? Precisely what am I missing here?

Which is why I keep telling people I feel 50, just because I read too much and think too much. It is as my former public speaking mentor told me, "We think too much, which is why everyone else around us look like idiots." It's the literature, I tell you.

As Paul Pennyfeather puts it, "God damn and blast them all to hell." Ahhh that was a good line.

1 comment:

  1. hey, grandpa.. u know better than i do that once you start questioning and tearing things down into nuggets to look at, everything else falls into disarray..
    more questions pop up than is answered..
    From "Wise" Mami~~ ><

    ReplyDelete