Saturday, March 26, 2011

Day 26: Exposure

I know I blame the literature I've been invested with for shaping my character, and it's true! Now, I'm not typing this because I lauded over this to someone and had to defend it in my blog. I just felt like sharing the psychology. Though I can't attach a technical name to the emotions generated whenever I read something, I'm sure almost everyone feels the same way towards the novels, movies or music they've been exposed to.

For instance, if one feels sad... DON'T BLOODY FRIGGIN LISTEN TO MUSIC THAT FEEDS DEPRESSION!!!

Ahem.

Common sense, though apparently, a very hard thing to do. Whenever I used to be down, Coldplay's "The Scientist" was played repeatedly for hours. Well, we have our moments. Just don't... encourage it.

Still, that's an example of "I'm feeling sad so I'm listening to dismal music." What about the other way round? Like... "I'm feeling fine, really, but I've to read 30 books on suicide for this semester." Now... doesn't that sound a little frightening?

Of course, I haven't had any suicidal characters. Yet.

I think.

Maybe a couple, but they don't come to mind.

...

Anyway, the fact that I'm reading waaaaay too many accounts of protagonists drifting away into the abstract, sometimes overthinking things far too often for their own good, I can't help but feel the same way too. It doesn't make it easier when their experiences are so relatable. It's difficult to find error in their rhetoric. They're true. They're honest.

But really, one needs something uplifting in one's routine every once in a while too! Look at it like a scale. On the right, "Sad." On the other, "Happy." To me, there's an additional component--the neck of the scale which represents "Objectivity." These are very, very general terms no doubt, so everyone might wish to replace them with different things.

Life is made up of both sad and happy experiences, and we unconsciously weigh them on a scale. Sometimes, we can view these experiences (or emotions if you like) objectively, and console ourselves (whenever a situation gets rough) or remind ourselves (should we get too excited of our "successes") that these "experiences" are mere variables that we can control to a certain extent. I believe that if we want something to be "happy" or "sad," we make them a happy or sad experience.

Thus, balance sadness with more happy things. I confess: I watch Oofuri to keep me motivated because I damn well won't be able to find that amount of team spirit and respect in my current reading list. I suppose reality won't always grant me that sort of euphoric sensation of being part of a close knit group whom I can completely throw my faith on. It can be harsh at times, though I admit I can occasionally overanalyze the situation.

All the characters in the show always appear to be gung ho about baseball matches, even when they're against powerhouses as opponents. What is it that keeps them going? It isn't that they're not worried or scared; they're extremely nervous! Yet, there's nothing a loud yell of "NICE BATTING!" can't do to send healthy tremors down the batter's spine.

I try to encapsulate that in my life. I used to think everything's a bore, since everything can be easily dissected. What's the point, if it can be broken down so easily? Nothing fazes me.

Aaaand this is the part where I get all philosophical and get down to explaining the meaning of life... WAS IT WORTH IT?!

Ahem.

There are things to get worked up for--we just have to seek them out. We need a healthy dosage of, well, everything to keep us motivated for the next day. I'm trying to shake off my unhealthy habits (The chips... the chips I say!) while trying to adopt newer and healthier options. And when I say healthy, I don't just mean "healthy for the body." We should take better care of our mental health too. Always know that there is a solution to every problem, and it all begins with that first step. Whether we actually take that first step would depend on our discipline.

Which is why I'm still training myself to wake up at 6am every morning, though I suppose that's just nostalgia of my high school days. But it doesn't mean it's still not a goal I try to achieve. I'm working hard for a better tomorrow.

BIG SMILES. LIKE YOU MEAN IT! 8D

No comments:

Post a Comment