Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 27: The "Ideal" Language?

Catherine Prendergast's Buying into English hit it home for me. Her book focuses on how English has been commercialized in post-communist states, quickly rising to become one of the leading commodities for anyone who wishes to succeed in a neo-capitalist nation--Slovakia. Is neo-capitalist overrated, or aptly put? Perspectives differ, though the effects are obvious. I can relate to that, to a certain degree; though the motivations of my "English" seemed more imperialist than capitalist.

And here I am, learning the language I love, hoping to teach Japanese students, in some suburban town off Tokyo, English. I feel the choices Prendergast's characters (though... this really is a research based book, the people Prendergast interviewed have been given pseudonyms) have had to make during the transition from a communist state to a nationalistic one. Well, for a decade or so.

In all honesty, looking back at the English I had been exposed to during my primary and secondary school years, I can't help but wonder if the British Council's "English" really had been England's "black gold." Peter and Jane by Ladybird colored my toddler-hood, if there was ever such a word. Did they perhaps imply something else with their golden locks and happy smiles? Do I like Peter?

Critical pedagogy is slowly beginning to look very appealing to me...

No comments:

Post a Comment