Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Day 10: About business majors...

I've had a fairly interesting conversation with Eddie, my classmate for fiction writing and American literature, this morning. I was interested in the post of the Writing Center consultant at Andrews Hall so I thought of inquiring him, who is one, what it takes to be one. The enquiry then developed into a pleasant chat, where we suddenly spoke about what it means to be a scholar. I find pleasure in his disagreement with the business major - Why study business?

Personally, I see the art of conducting a business more of an experience, rather than an education. Is it inaccurate to claim that it is also centralized around the ability to make profits? Why do we go through an education? Are we scholars for dabbling in the sciences or the humanities, or are we scholars for learning how to earn our keep? I want my education to introduce me foreign facts, to teach me to become a better human being. So, I wonder, what do business majors want their degree for? Proof of being able to earn more cash than the rest of the population?

As Eddie places it, "I see the pragmatism in a business degree, but is there all there is to it?"

Granted, I'd have drawn innumerable enemies by this statement, but just lay back and ponder, let the thought sink in... Why, indeed, am I going through my education?

No comments:

Post a Comment