Friday, September 3, 2010

Day 3: Out with the old, and in with the new.


Simple. Extremely casual. I didn't bother with layers and heavy accessories so a pastel blue shirt and a tiger's eye gemstone would suffice for today. Besides, the top pretty much speaks by itself... "I'm desperate for comfort." A must-have for any wardrobe, I believe. There are times when I want to put on something soft, without looking like I just rolled off my bed... Drooling.

Earlier this evening, I went for the Malaysian Students Association's annual general meeting. The routine was the same as last year's though I suppose everyone attended mostly because of the food, instead of the election.

The election. Happens during the start of every Fall semester. Last year, I became the Vice President. This year, I am but a humble spectator of things gone by. It is definitely refreshing to witness diversity in the committee this season. We even have a Vietnamese joining the ranks of leaders. We've gone international~ Awesome.

Aside from the brilliant cast chosen to take the lead, I'm surprised why people aren't taking the elections seriously. The AGM seemed casual, which was fine, but I hoped the audience would've been more cautious with their selections, not trigger-happy names.

These are the faces of Malaysia we choose to paste on the walls of UNL. Are you able to walk pass these images everyday without having to snicker in disbelief? Are you able to tell a friend that s/he is the president of your club proudly? Are you able to convince, yourself, that "I wrote his/her name on that slip of paper, and I don't regret it"?

Yes. No. Perhaps. Maybe. I don't know.

Put some thought into it. Read that embarrassing headline about racial disputes breaking out in Malaysia? Didn't want your neighbors in the dining hall reading the same article WHILE you're there? That's how you'll feel about the person you so jokingly positioned on the high pedestal of authority.

Personally, I am happy with the new committee this year. I don't deny that the process was frightening due to the lack of urgency, but I am confident with the new players joining the ring.
So to all new members, congratulations and I wish only the best for you. Prove to me that you can finally insert the geographic location of Malaysia in 80% of the population's head and I'll kowtow before you.

Until then, use Colgate generously for those pearly whites and you'll quickstep your way through campus life.

No comments:

Post a Comment