Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 10: Atonement

To be taken in Ian McEwan's highly acclaimed novel is a most wondrous feeling. The silence of my room amplified the trance-like effect one would find oneself in while emphatically peering into the lives of the Tallis' household. Only the occasional slamming of doors along the corridor beyond my very own threshold served to yank me away from the cinematic reel of an interwar intermission, ornamented with irises and daisies etching along the driveway of a large mansion, bathed in a warm orange sunset.

Behold, a meditative, yet boiling with intrigue, tale that filled the cavity of imaginative minds as we are offered a private glimpse into the thoughts of a diverse cast. Each of these actors lived in close proximity, only to have their separate worlds of thought converging towards an escalating familial discrepancy.

I was alerted by the uncalled, albeit familiar, clicking of the doorknob and the following loud entrance of my roommate. So he has returned from his trip to Kansas. It would be an aggravating untruth if I mentioned I am pleased to witness his return. In fact, I found it rude of him to interrupt and shatter my cherished silence. Alas, this is the life a scholar would have to live through.

No comments:

Post a Comment