Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 16: Saturdays Never Felt More Pleasant.

Beautiful, beautiful day! I feel like Fred Astaire dancing/roller-skating to "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off." Only that I don't roller-skate and Ginger Rogers is dead. But I'm in a pleasant mood nonetheless.

I woke up at 8.30am and went to the Haymarket at 10.30am, only to find that the area was empty and they won't return til' next May. So since I didn't get to eat my usual crispy burrito (they're excellent) I went straight to the new Qdoba Mexican Grill opened just a couple of weeks ago, right across the Grand Theatre. It's the only American franchise that I find gratifying, so far. Their patch brown, grilled quesadillas... C'est fantastique~

Before I move on, here's what I wore today:
Just as I was reaching the Union, I noticed that our football opponent for today's Texas, in which, they're spray painted in burnt orange. So, not wanting to look like a UNL absconder, I changed...

It was pretty windy anyway so the red jacket came in handy. Besides, I also learnt that it was "Red Out Around the World" day for UNL. So red's a must for anyone affiliated for UNL today, apparently.

My hair at the moment's really inconsistent. Sometimes it looks great, but other times, when I come out of the shower, I look like the generic 80s Hong Kong school kid. And the odd thing is, I just have to add more weight to the right side, and it looks ten times better. Huh.

So I changed, and I went for the movies at the Grand. I always enjoy watching movies there on a game day. Since everyone's at the stadium, I get the big screen all to myself. Though, of course, it can turn the other way around especially when one's watching a comedy, and no one's there to laugh with you, for the sake of confirming to oneself that the joke was funny.

I watched Easy A with Emma Stone playing the lead and It's Kind of a Funny Story. Both were great, but enjoyed the former better, mainly because it's a teenage dramedy, but it's not cliche. I liked it because Olive (the protaganist) doesn't do anything half-assed, she goes out with a BanG. Both metaphorically, and literally. I might consider watching three other movies: Secretariat, Wall Street 2 and The Social Network. I'm not sure if You Again or Legend of the Guardians would be worth my time though...

Oh, before I forget, let's dwell on literature for a moment, as if I don't do it almost every day of my life already. I got these from a trip to B&N yesterday:

I'm terribly guilty of buying these books because of their covers, but hey, they're pioneers in their genre too. The Divine Comedy is an epic poem (a really, really long one at that) hailed as one of the greatest works in Italian literature, if not the world. The Iliad and The Odyssey is a must for any Greek classicist. The Arabian Nights has been the inspiration for, well, literature. But most temptingly, it was a "Buy 3 at the price of 2" offer. How can one say no to that?

Besides the above three, I also got these:
The Bus Driver Who Wanted To Be God by Etgar Keret is a collection of surreal short stories with a whimsical outlook on life. I mean, the title of the book itself explains the genre. So far, I've read one of the chapter titled "Pipes" and it was strange, yet very insightful, which prompted me to buy the book. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender, on the other hand, details Rose Edelstein's peculiar gift of sensing people's emotions by eating the food they make. The lemon cake was made by her mother and, despite being the Bree Van de Kamp of Bender's novel, she's incredibly unhappy. Interesting plot. Shall read it once I'm finished with Pooh.

Which brings me to the books that I'm reading on a daily basis now:
Actually, there're more... But I read the others based on the days I have them for class. The ones pictured here are a must every day.

So now that I'm done wasting away 30 minutes of my life bragging about my books, excuse me now for actually going to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment