Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 25: Overturned sleeping patterns

I'm really, really not getting enough sleep. But how's that uncommon for a scholar? My only surprise is that I'm more alert during the night than I am in the day, though that doesn't necessarily signify productivity. If I had bloodshot eyes and deathly white skin, people might mistake me for a vampire. Did I mention my pronounced fangs? Really, all I have to do is grow longer fingernails, spray paint my hair silver, bare my front jaw for all to see, and there'd be people scattering off in all directions.

My remaining molar, the one I can't survive without, is becoming more and more sensitive. It's pulsing a little even now. People cry and wail over amputated limbs, become insane over the idea of having to walk with prosthetic replacement parts; I silently tear up whenever a tooth's gone. It's like attending the funeral of a close relative: something's missing. Why, of all things, should I be born with abnormally smaller, weaker and less teeth? I feel 80 when I'm barely 20.

But the cold weather's kicking in, a good excuse for shunning the ice-cream I suppose. That heavenly treat overflowing with sugar... Gets me high. Though I'm aware science has proven otherwise. Then again, as a good friend of mine often quote, it's all in the head. Sounds better if "thy" replaces "the," doesn't it? It has that sort of inflection, smoothly transitioning to "head," and it doesn't stresses the word "the" as much... Conversational implicature, as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment