Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5: What a terrifying flight!

Couple of things I've missed out in yesterday's post... Firstly, I forgot to upload this photo that I took at Claremont Village. How very exciting indeed! I'm quite taken in by the lead actress after her stint as Alice. And now, she'll be acting as Jane Eyre. I'm looking forward to it.

Secondly, for the past five days of January, I've been wearing the same thing whenever I go out - Either just the black turtleneck or it paired with the blue cardigan. Today, it was just the turtleneck with the wool coat. I had expected Nebraskan weather to be cold.

The flight from LA to Phoenix was terrifying. It was definitely topping my list of frightening flights, and I have been globetrotting all my life so I know how bad turbulence can sometimes be. Until this particular journey. About 30 minutes after take off, the ride became a little bumpy. I wasn't bothered by the occasional rough massage. The elderly passenger seated on my left didn't seem to care much as well. And then, it got rougher. For five seconds, at least that was what it felt, the plane rocked so hard, I thought the wings were falling off. All I heard was the captain leaving a brief message, urging everyone to strap on their belts. Two minutes later, there were panicking gasps from the seat behind me. I held on tightly to my seat. The elderly lady on the left, grabbed my hand.

I later learnt her name to be Irene, and she had mine. Small talk was all that's required to slowly brush away anxiety, still tugging on our hearts. What it felt like then seemed impossible mid-air. I was in a mini bus filled with people glued to each other's sticky bodies, the sweaty stench floating about inside, and we were traveling in the Malaysian countryside, on roads that never received attention from the Ministry of Transportation. The only thing is, we were all 30,ooo feet above sea level. And it was a loooong way down.

But we made it. Thank goodness for that. And I came back to my room, which was still surprisingly neat. Just as I left it. Well, at least, my section of the room that is. I... don't think I would like to mention the details about my roommate's side. In fact, I might consider vacuuming. Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment